The Turkish authorities have announced the closure of dozens of media organizations, as a crackdown continues following the failed coup on 15 July, BBC informs.
Three news agencies, 16 TV channels, 45 papers and 15 magazines will be shut. Separately, nearly 1,700 members of the armed forces - including 149 generals and admirals - have been discharged.
The government says US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen was behind the army-led attempted coup - a claim he denies. At least 246 people died during the coup. More than 2,000 people were injured.
The closure of the media outlets and the dismissal of the members of the armed forces were announced in Turkey's official Resmi Gazete. The names of the media organizations have not yet been officially released, but local media suggest that while most are relatively small, provincial outlets, several dailies and agencies with a national audience have also been targeted.
Among those discharged from the armed forces are 87 army generals, 30 air force generals and 32 admirals. Earlier on Wednesday, the authorities ordered the detention of another 47 journalists - just several days after similar warrants were issued for 42 reporters.
The Turkish army also revealed that 8,651 members, or 1.5%, of the nation's armed forces took part in the failed coup. It said the plotters had 35 planes, 37 helicopters, 74 tanks and three ships.